Rabbi Jerome (“Jerry”) Blum
We are very excited to welcome Rabbi Jerome (“Jerry”) Blum to our Temple Isaiah family. Jerry is a dad, husband, teacher, cantor, student rabbi, prayer leader, business consultant and occasional rock and roller. He lives in Manhattan with his wife Arlyn, and between them have two daughters and one son.
Rabbi Jerry is a graduate of the Davenen Leader’s Training Institute (DLTI VII) – a part of the ALEPH Association for Jewish Renewal’s Ordination Programs, and is currently a fourth-year rabbinical student at the Academy for Jewish Religion – a pluralistic seminary. Rabbi Jerry has also served as a cantor and prayer leader for synagogues in Staten Island, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Curacao (in the Caribbean). He is an accomplished and creative educator who taught in many synagogues in the NY/NJ area, and was a lead educator for United Synagogue Youth. Recently, he served as the Cantor and Director of Community Engagement for Congregation Beth Israel of the Palisades in Cliffside Park, NJ.
In his former life, Jerry held senior management positions at major financial services firms, and brings a different perspective to the pulpit. He believes the rabbi and cantor are more than just the voice of prayer. The clergy team must come with vision and ability to help grow a holy community (K’hillah K’doshah). Rabbi Jerry loves working with children and adults and sharing his love for all things Jewish. His goals are to work in partnership with Temple Isaiah to:
• Create spiritually meaningful services.
• Provide pastoral care and to bring comfort to those in need.
• Create interesting and innovative programing,
• Create fun, moving and thoughtful Jewish experiences for all ages.
• Reach out to the surrounding community leaders to build meaningful relationships throughout the area.
• Continue the growth of our welcoming and accepting Jewish community
• Enhance Jewish learning and social action.
For more from Rabbi Blum, please see his columns in the monthly Bulletin.